June 7, 2012

Why we call her Angel

My daughter's name is Andrea.

Before she was born, I came across this name a few times from local celebrities (Andrea De Cruz, Andrea Fonseka) but I never really paid attention. Until one day an intern joined our company, her name is Andrea too, and that's when I actually had to write out her name. I thought "Andrea" is a very nice name to write, and it sounds nice too.

That stuck as one of my favorite names to give to my daughter, I suggested to my wife, she eventually agreed :)

So how did "Angel" came about?

Well, unknown to most people, I collect a few funny looking soft toys. My favorite is a plush turtle with huge eyes and a tongue out. We often play him like a puppet and make funny voices, in our imagination he's a little kid that's still not very good in speech. So when I used my funny voice to pronounce "Andrea" it sounded like "Angel", and that stuck with me too.

On the day that my daughter was born, I took a photo, upload it to Flickr, and titled it - Andrea "Angel" Vu. Ever since then, we've been calling her "Angel", then "Angelgel", now just "Gegel".

Funnily though, Angel calls herself "Kee Kee". I have no idea how that came about.


No comments:

Post a Comment